Short-term licenses

Non-council CLMs are authorised to issue short-term licences under s2.20 of the CLM Act. This responsibility includes establishing the conditions for use, setting rent, fees and/or charges for use of the reserve (including hire of facilities), and (if applicable) providing a rebate to reduce the amount payable.

Council CLMs can use the following guidance and templates prior to council adopting its first Local Government Act 1993 (LG Act) plan of management (POM) or the Crown land being classified as operational land, whichever comes first.

Short-term licences can be granted for a period of up to one year.  CLMs can enter into short-term licences with users for all or part of a reserve for a period up to 12 months without consent from the minister for a range of prescribed purposes (see table 2 below).

A short-term licence can only be granted for the prescribed purposes listed, and must consider the purpose of the Crown land. For example, a reserve with the purpose of showground may be used for equestrian activities; a reserve with the purpose of public hall may be used by a dance group.

Before granting a short-term licence a Category 2 CLM should consider native title rights under the Native Title Act 1993 (Cwlth) and any potential effects on claimable land under the Aboriginal Land Rights Act 1983 (NSW), contact the department if you are unsure. A Category 1 or council Crown land manager should have regard to the same considerations, and must have written advice from their native title manager.

The Community Engagement Strategy does not apply to short-term licences granted by CLMs. The table below lists prescribed purposes for short-term licences, from clause 31 of the Crown Land Management Regulation 2018.

A short- term licence should not be used when a proposed activity:

  • is for a period longer than 12 months
  • is not a prescribed purpose (see Table 1)
  • is not compatible with the dedicated or reserved purpose
  • is for any purpose for which an authority, permit, lease or licence can be granted under the Fisheries Management Act 1994
  • requires construction of any permanent fixtures or structures.

In the circumstances above, the CLM should contact the department to determine the suitability of the activity occurring on the reserve and/or the pathway to consider authorising the proposed activity.

Table 1: Prescribed purposes for short-term licences

Prescribed purposes 
  • Access through a reserve
  • Advertising
  • Camping using a tent, caravan or otherwise
  • Catering
  • Community, training or education
  • Emergency occupation
  • Entertainment
  • Environmental protection, conservation or restoration or environmental studies
  • Equestrian events
  • Exhibitions
  • Filming (as defined in the Local Government Act 1993)
  • Functions
  • Grazing
  • Hiring of equipment
  • Holiday accommodation
  • Markets
  • Meetings
  • Military exercises
  • Mooring of boats to wharves or other structures
  • Sales
  • Shows
  • Site investigations
  • Sporting and organised recreational activities,
  • Stabling of horses
  • Storage


The following short-term licence templates are available for use. Note that they are general in nature. The terms and conditions, at a minimum, relate to indemnity, land condition and insurance requirements

Filming projects—a special case

Special conditions apply for filming projects on Crown reserves. Find out more

Sign up for our eNewsletter to receive updates.